Interpersonal Communication

Image result for miscommunication png

George Bernard Shaw mentioned that the single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. Therefore, I would like to share a work-related incident with regards to communication. However, due to confidentiality, I would not disclose the names. I would be using pretend names in replace.

Due to my passion to learn and serve people, I applied for a new part-time job at Daddy's Bakery. After going through an interview over the phone, the boss asked if I was able to begin working on Saturday. Without hesitation, I agreed and thank the boss for his consideration. 

When Saturday arrives, I appeared at the bakery according to the agreed timing. The in-charge was Aunty Jane. I told her about the boss sending me there for my first day of work. However, to my dismay, my arrival at the bakery was not known to anyone at the bakery. Luckily, Aunty Jane did not shoo me away and passed me a uniform to put on. 

I put on the uniform and was told to take orders and tend the cashier. While working, the other colleagues and Aunty Jane assume that I could not understand Cantonese and begin conversing in Cantonese. They were talking bad about me and laughing at my actions. To make matters worse, the boss called and scolded Aunty Jane for allowing me to work. Aunty Jane was furious for being scolded that she flared at me and handed the phone over to me roughly. I picked up the phone and the boss scolded me that I should not be working since I did not inform him on Friday that I would be available on Saturday. I was not informed about any other instructions other than reporting to the bakery on Saturday. 

I left the bakery that day. Subsequently, after calming down, the boss called me and enquired if I would like to continue to work for him. Would you continue to work for the boss? How would you reply to the boss?


**Commented on:

  • Sarah
  • Pei Ling
  • Natasha



Comments

  1. Hi Jeanie!

    I am glad to hear about your experience at your part time job. And I believe it must have been a frustrating situation for you to be at the brunt of this miscommunication between the boss and Aunty Jane.

    In my opinion, I think you should clarify the situation with the boss on the miscommunication and the fact that he asked whether you were free to work on Saturday and you agreed. Since you already verbally agreed, the boss still stated that you did not inform him on Friday that you would be available for work on Saturday. Perhaps the bakery's culture is to inform the boss a day before that you would be working the next day. In this situation, you could inform the boss that you are not aware of such a culture and hence did not know what to do. Secondly, he might have forgotten that you agreed to work and was caught unaware until you showed up at the bakery.

    Regarding the situation on Aunty Jane, maybe you could talk to her alone after work and asked what you did wrong since they were talking bad about you. Even though they were badmouthing you, I feel that you do not need to confront them or do the same thing back as this does not ease the tension between you guys. It would be better to avoid a conflict than gain an enemy.

    As for whether I would continue working for the boss, it depends on what he would respond to the miscommunication. If he is willing to apologise for his mistake, I would continue working for him. But if he continues blaming it on others, then perhaps it's better to leave the bakery as you never know what he would blame you for in future. I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing how you solved this problem.

    Best regards,
    Pei Ling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pei Ling

      Thank you for comment. Unfortunately, after the incident, I felt that it would be extremely awkward for me to continue working at the bakery. Furthermore, the boss did not apologise for the mistake and pushed the miscommunication to me. The boss insisted that it was mentioned but I failed to do as instructed. In the end, I applied the Thomas-Kilmann mode instruments of Avoidance to resolve the issue. With regards to the hiring, I rejected the boss politely stating that the work environment is unsuitable for me. Since then, I would avoid the bakery.

      Through this incident, I learned that miscommunication comes both ways. Furthermore, sometimes avoiding is the solution to the problem. Once again, thank you for your comment.

      Warmest Regards
      Jeaine

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeanie,

    Thank you for sharing your interpersonal communication conflict. We empathise with your situation because we understand that it was not your mistake. We will definitely be upset and angry if we were in your shoes, for being blamed unknowingly.

    Applying the Thomas-Kilmann conflict mode instruments, we felt that we will use Avoidance to resolve the issue. Firstly, we felt that the boss should have had proper communication with you. Aside from the telecommunication, he could have confirmed the employment details with a message or email. As a result of this miscommunication which was not your fault, you were scolded by both your boss and Aunty Jane. Secondly, we felt that your colleagues were inconsiderate and rude. We would not feel happy working with colleagues that may make us feel uncomfortable. Hence, we would rather reject the current job and opt for other potential job opportunities, to avoid similar occurrences in this job should you continue to work for them.

    We look forward to hearing your solution for this communication conflict.

    Best regards,
    Nadiah & Shu Ling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nadiah and Shu Ling

      Thank you for your comments. Similar to your thoughts, I had the same feeling at the point of time. I applied the Thomas-Kilmann conflict mode instruments' Avoidance to resolve the issue. As for the hiring, I rejected the offer politely. Since then, I feel really awkward walking by the bakery especially when I saw Aunty Jane.

      Nonetheless, I am glad that I rejected the job offer. Once again, thank you for the comment and suggestion.

      Warmest Regards
      Jeaine

      Delete
  3. Dear Jeaine,

    Thank you for sharing this most interesting scenario. In it you give relevant details in terms of the quite unqiue problem issue. I appreciate the feedback you've received and how you tie your experience to the Thomas-Kilmann instrument in terms of your subsequent avoidance.

    I appreciate your effort for learning here.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone

      I am grateful for your comment on my learning. I would continue to apply my learnings to class.

      Thank you and have a nice day!

      Warmest Regards
      Jeaine

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts